Thursday, February 22, 2007

Hoarfrost

A cold holds me hostage.
Last night I slept half sitting up
   in order to breathe more easily.
Opening the window shades this morning,
   I saw what I feared I would see:
      the weather forecast had been correct.
A heavy fog waited outside.
Hoarfrost hung everywhere.
There was nothing to decide
   because there was no question what I would do.
I showered, dressed, slung my camera over my shoulder,
   and drove a short distance into the country.
I trudged through drifts deeper than my boots.
I knelt in snow banks to get closer
   to what I wanted to inspect.
I stopped time after time
   and listened to the clear silence,
      interrupted only by the click of my shutter.
Walking in the dampness and snow and fog,
   surrounded by the day’s mysterious wrapping,
      did more good for me than staying at home in bed.
Morning cold can be good medicine for colds in the morning.

No comments: