Saturday, December 30, 2006

Thinness

The Irish have a descriptive phrase
   with which a contemplative photographer will resonate:
      “thin places.”
A thin place is anyplace on earth where the veil
   separating the seen world from the unseen world
      is so slender, so permeable, that these two worlds
         can momentarily touch, even overlap.
In such a spot the unseen breaks in upon the seen.
The sacred slips in through the apparently ordinary.
Mahatma Gandhi described it this way:
   “There is an undefinable, mysterious power
      that pervades everything.
   I feel it, though I do not see it.
   It is this unseen power that makes itself felt
      and yet defies all proof,
         because it is so unlike all that I perceive
            through my senses.
   It transcends the senses.”
The fortunate photographer is one who,
   coming upon such places,
      finds a way to position the camera
         quite near that delicate veil.
Then she or he releases the shutter with held breath,
   hoping that a bit of the unseen will filter onto the final image.
It may not.
The transcendent is known to transcend cameras too.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"The transcendent is known to transcend cameras too." — Years ago, I tried to photograph wisteria hanging over a garden wall in Charleston, SC. No matter what I tried, the purple flowers looked grey on the photograph or slide. For years I wondered if there were unphotographable colors. Recently, I photographed wisteria with my digital camera and it captured the delicate purple. I felt like I'd pierced the veil. Katherine.

Josh said...

Beautiful words and imagery. Hope you don't mind if I link you...

Anonymous said...

thinness...transcendence...NAMASTE...I honor the place within you where the whole universe resides. I honor the place within you where, if you are at that place in you, and I am at that place in me, there is only one of us...transcendent namaste...